Sunday 23 September 2012

Bubble, bubble


This week has been one of those in which all you want to do when you get home from work is eat junk food and cocoon yourself into a doona. But it *did* end up getting slightly better. Kinda. In some regards. 

Anyway, enough of my whining, let's get on to the crafts! ^_^


As it's getting close to the end of September, I've been getting into the Halloween spirit (ha ha! ~_^). This headband is cute enough to be worn at work and I can't wait to wear it on Halloween!
 

It was super easy to make; I just cut some bats from black felt, covered them with glitter mod-podge, and then (when they were dry) hot glued them onto a headband.
 

The mod-podge made the felt slightly stiffer, which prevents the bats from being too floppy. And they look very pretty and sparkly ^_^


Continuing with the bat theme, I made this wreath for our door.
 

I wrapped a styrofoam wreath base in grey wool - which took ages! I used a GIANT ball of wool from my Nana Tess and I used the entire thing! So if you're planning on doing this yourself, buy more wool then you think you'll need. I was so suprised at how much yarn it took to cover this thing.
 

Then I just hotglued on more felt bats. It's pretty basic looking, but I really like it ^_^
 

Next, glitter time!
 
 
I brought three cheap plastic skulls, covered them in modpodge, and then covered them in *glitter*! If you haven't done this before, here are two tips: 
 
1. Don't mix the glitter into the modpdge - it seriously reduces the sparkle.
2. Use a shoebox (or steal the box from your husband's new Warhammer models) to contain the excess glitter - you'll be pouring a lot of glitter over whatever you're covering but you can return the excess to the jar at the end (by using a funnel) and having a box with corners makes pouring a lot easier.
 

I love how they turned out, but the silver and purple ones look so much better than the black - I think because the black glitter is not as fine.

Anyway, that's it for today - I'm hoping to get a couple more projects done this coming week so fingers crossed for productivity! ~_^

- Lisa x

4 comments:

Sara said...

Lisa

Great Halloween inspired crafts. I think the wreath is super cute and will look fab on your door and I am loving the skulls, especially the purple one. I am hopeless with glitter and get it everywhere, except where it is supposed to go.

Lisa said...

Thanks Sara! Glitter is tricky to use - I will admit that I got quite a lot of it on my ... everything. ~_^

BEESTLYproducts said...

we all know that i love glitter, but that wreath is just perfect! lovelovelove.

Lisa said...

Glitter is the best! And I'm glad you like the wreath! ^_^