Friday 27 June 2014

"I have loved the stars too fondly" calligraphy style artwork


Hello! I decided to try something a bit different for this latest craft - painting! I'll be perfectly honest with you though, painting is really not one of my greater skills, especially for fine lines. So, of course, this project is almost entirely text. Mmmm, logic ~___^


I made this for Pip for her house-warming; I found it tough to make something for a house I'd never seen before, but hopefully this will fit in ok with the rest of her decor! I based this project on a quote that Phillipa likes, commonly attributed to Galileo but actually by Sarah Williams (the more you know!). I started with a small chopping board from IKEA; I actually have a few left because they came in a four pack, but I brought them so long ago that I don't think IKEA sells them anymore. Which is a pity, because they are the perfect size for little artworks ^___^
 

I slapped on blue, purple, and black paint in different combinations to attempt to recreate the look of the night sky. I think it worked pretty well, and also it was fun to do ~___^ Then I traced the shape of the board onto a piece of A4 paper and started planning out the quote. I carefully wrote it out onto the board with a lead pencil and then went over everything with silver paint. I used a brush, but I was wishing that I had a paint pen by the first letter!
 

I made a few mistakes, and had to try washing off the paint, which left some patches lighter than others, and my brush control is really lacking. All that said, I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. I also added some pretty little stars which were, thankfully, very easy to do. I also went over the stars with glow-in-the-dark paint so they give off a subtle glow which I found quite cute.
 

Painting is still something I definitely need to work on, but it was fun to do something different, and it worked up a lot faster than embroidery (which was the other medium I was considering for this project!) ^___^ Any artists out there? I'd love any tips you have for me!

- Lisa xx

No comments: