Wednesday 17 December 2014

Pineapple-shaped pineapple upside-down cake


Listen, I'm not going to lie: I have jumped on the pineapple bandwagon pretty solidly, and have no intention of getting off it. Pineapples have kinda seemed like the theme for this year so it seemed appropriate that for my birthday I make myself a pineapple cake. But not just any pineapple cake: a pineapple-shaped pineapple upside-down cake! ^___^

 

I gathered around (most) of my pineapple things to have a little cake photo shoot because, as I think you've all learnt by now, I can not bake something without wanting to take a million photos of it. Especially if it comes out well, which I think this did! ^___^


A used a recipe from Taste for the pineapple-upside down cake except the only rectangle baking pan I could find was pretty big ... so I ended up tripling the recipe 0___o Also, instead of placing the pineapple rings whole on the bottom of the pan, I cut them into segments (had I thought of this earlier I could have just *brought* segments!) and placed them in a pattern which I thought was vaguely reminiscent of a pineapple skin.


I also made a small round cake to make into the top of the pineapple; for this recipe I used my basic cake recipe (see below) but added a cup of pineapple juice instead of the water.

Basic cake
1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup vegetable oil

I cut it into a spiky shape and iced it with green butter icing. I had a bit of trouble with the icing though, because it *really* didn't want to stick to the parts of the cake that I had cut, which is possibly because those parts didn't have a crust on them.




Anyway, the most important part about a cake is taste, right? The verdict on this one: delicious. The pineapple upside-down cake was wonderfully moist (ugh, moist) and the pineapple on top was glazed and oh so tasty! The only change to this cake I would make is to perhaps put some crushed pineapple into the batter so it was extra flavoursome all the way through. As I am a fan of delicious flavour. 


The top cake was also really good; not as sweet as the upside-down cake, but a great accompaniment. However this cake is probably best served at a larger party to since it is pretty big! I ended up taking some to work to get rid of it ... but luckily my co-workers didn't mind! ~___^


Since these photos were taken, I have obtained even more pineapple stuff. This bandwagon ride is far from over folks. Although ... I did also get myself some watermelon duct tape (a highly necessary purchase, I'm sure) so perhaps I'll be taking a side ride on bandwagons of other tropical fruits? I guess we'll see. In the photo below, you can see my pineapple string art, pineapple tea cosy, and pineapple perler bead brooch, as well as the incredible pineapple sunglasses Tanya gifted me for the Giant Pineapple KAL and an awesome poster that I printed out from here.
 

And, my new pineapple jar! Pip gave this to me as an early birthday present without even knowing my pineapple filled birthday plans! What a champ ^____^
 



Since next week is Christmas (uhhh, what???!!) I probably won't post, but I will definitely be back directly afterwards to show you all the gifts I've been crafting. The race is on: will I finish them all in time? (Spoiler: probably not.)

- Lisa xx

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a cute cake! It looks delicious. Pineapples are the best. :)
Amy xx

Perfect Imperfections

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely! I adore how simple pineapple upside down cake is to make, you've made it look even more delicious now though. xx

Lisa said...

Thanks Amy and Lemon Freckles! It was an easy cake to make, but it certainly turns out impressively for the time it takes! ^___^